For anyone new here: hi. I’m Elise, and I LOVE candy. I also love gravity defying cakes. I love making a cake that will blow someone’s mind. That’s what I was hoping to do with this cake. I’ll be showing you how to make a Gravity Defying M&Ms Cake! If you LOVE this idea, check out my M&Ms Gravity Defying Cupcakes!
For this recipe you’ll need my chocolate cake recipe. You can find that recipe here. You’ll also need my perfectly pipeable buttercream frosting.
- Preheat a moderate oven (350°F/175°C)
- Line your cake tins with a piece of parchment paper. Take 2 large pieces of parchment paper, and fold them into thirds. Then, roll the parchment paper into a circular shape, and place them into the cake tin.
- Fill your cake mixture to the rim of the cake tin. Place a 4’’ or 6’’ piece of parchment paper on top of the cake mixture.
- Bake in a moderate oven until they spring back when touched in the middle.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove the parchment paper, and remove from the cake tin. Set aside until it’s completely cooled.
- Use a pair of scissors to puncture a hole through your 4’’ cake board. Make sure your balloon stick can stick through.
- Spoon melted dark chocolate onto that 6’’ cake board. Place the balloon stick cup down onto the chocolate. Let set.
- Cut a neat corner from your M&Ms packet, and pour them M&Ms into a bowl. Then, fill your empty packet with cotton balls.
- Stick your balloon stick into the cup.
- Use a serrated edge knife to trim the top of your cake off the larger cake base. Then, cut that cake in half.
- Trim the top of the cake off of the top (smaller) layer of cake so that it’s even with the bottom layer. Cut that cake in half, as well.
- Brush the top of your cakes with simple syrup.
- Spread buttercream frosting to the top of the bottom half of your base piece. Then, center it onto the balloon stick and slide it down onto the cake board.
- Add buttercream frosting to the top of your base piece, and stack it onto the balloon stick onto the cake.
- Place skewers down into those 2 cake layers for stability. Cut them so that they are even with the cake (MAKE SURE TO REMOVE BEFORE SERVING!!!)
- Add buttercream frosting to the top of the bottom half of the top piece of place it on the cake board.
- Repeat with the top piece.
Add a layer of buttercream frosting to the entire outside of the cake to create a crumb coat.
- Transfer to the freezer for 30-60 minutes.
- Add another layer of frosting. Scrape back any excess frosting to create a clean frosting layer.
- Smear melted chocolate onto your cake board, and place your cake on top.
- Use a toothpick to apply melted chocolate to the base of the balloon stick, and add M&Ms.
- Add M&Ms to the outside of the cake. You want to cover about a third of your cake. You can add in hand fulls, but I decided to add one by one. Place M&Ms in a spilling effect down onto your cake board as well.
- Stick melted chocolate to the back of your M&Ms and stack them up the balloon stick. Place an M&M packet at the top.
It’s raining M&Ms and I’m okay with that! 🌧️
For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/2gUIN7H
What You’ll Need:
- Cake batter – you can use your own recipe or a packet mix but you’ll need a double batch
- Buttercream frosting
- 3 large packets of m&m’s
- A small packet of m&m’s
- Sugar syrup (2 tbsp apricot jam with 3tbsp water heated in the microwave)
- Melted chocolate – dark, milk or white
- 10″ cake board
*Optional Cake turntable
- 6 ” & 4 ” cake tins (or whatever size you want your layers to be)
- 6″ & 4″ cake boards (make sure the smaller board is cardboard, not thick wood)
- 4 x skewers
- Serrated edge knife (bread knife)
- Balloon stick with balloon holding cup attached
- Offset spatula
- Pastry brush
- Cotton wool balls
- Parchment Paper
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips