Valentine’s Day is the season of love! And it can be any love! Love for your partner, your best friend, your family, or for yourself! It’s also a great day to share your love of sweets. This recipe will help you do just that. I’d like to share with you guys not one, but TWO Miniature Valentine’s Day Love Heart Cakes is sure to make hearts flutter. If you’re looking for more Valentine’s Day recipes, check out my DIY Conversation Hearts and my Chocolate Candy Box.
For this recipe, you’re going to need my famously delicious buttercream frosting. You can find that recipe here. You’ll also need red fondant. You can find my fondant recipe here. The fondant for the candy heart box needs about 48 hours to firm up, so you must prepare them two days ahead of time. For the candy heart box, I also recommend assemble the truffles your love heart cookie cutter ahead of time so that you know where you’d like to put them when assembling. Enjoy this super sweet Valentine’s Day recipe!
Miniature Heart Cake
- Cut out a heart from your sponge cake.
- Place various chocolate candies into your heart cookie cutter to position them as desired.
- Pipe white decorating icing onto your chocolates to add colour and designs to the chocolates. You can also top with one large sprinkle, or dip the chocolate with icing into a bowl of sprinkles.
- Sprinkle corn flour onto your bench, and roll out your fondant. Cut out a heart with the same love heart cutter.
- With the rest of your fondant, roll out your fondant so that its in a long rectangle. It should be the thickness of about 3 stacked credit cards. Cut the pieces in half to give it 2 long strips.
- Frost the outside of your heart cake. Then, quickly wrap the fondant around the heart cake. Cut off any excess fondant with a pair of scissors.
- Place your chocolate truffles directly into the love heart, as you did earlier in your heart cookie cutter template.
- Transfer the heart cake onto your serving tray. Place a piece of icing on the side, and lean the top half of heart fondant against the rest of the cake box.
1. Use your heart shaped cookie cutter to cut two large hearts out from the sponge cake.
2. Using a small circle cutter, core about about 1 cm on one of the sponge cakes, and core out an entire center on the other sponge cake. Keep one of the cores.
3. Smear pink buttercream frosting on the sponge cake piece with the core only partially taken out. Don’t smear buttercream in the core.
4. Stack the other sponge cake on top of the bottom piece.
5. Add a crumb coat of frosting to the outside edges of the sponge cakes.
6. Transfer to the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
7. Add another layer of buttercream frosting over the crumb coat.
8. Trim the top of the core piece, and set the top aside.
9. Fill the center core with sprinkles and candies. Once filled, place the core piece right on top.
10. Spread buttercream frosting over the top of the top of the heart. Smooth out the edges with an offset spatula.
11. Transfer your cake to your serving dish/tray.
12. Use writing icing to write a message on your cake!
Love is in the air 😍
For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/2ippR4N
What You’ll Need:
- 2 rectangle 1’’ high sponge cakes
- Pink buttercream frosting
- Red fondant (pre-coloured preferred)
- Chocolate truffles
- Corn flour
- Decorating icing/cookie icing
- Red and white heart sprinkles + mini M&Ms
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Large red heart sprinkles
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips