If there’s anything you already know about My Cupcake Addiction, it’s that I’m here to show you some seriously over the top recipes. While some recipes are more challenging than others, I try and make them as easy as possible. Today I’m giving you an over the top recipe that is both simple, but is also a smaller over the top cake. This is a delicious, super rich Chocolate Nutella Jar Cake. If you LOVE this jar cake, check out my GIANT Peanut Butter Jar Cake. Imagine combining these two cakes for an outrageously delicious flavour combination…maybe that’ll be my next cake recipe! YUM!
For this recipe, you’re going to need one batch of my chocolate cake baked in a 2 x 6’’ round tins. You can find that recipe here. When making your molds, make sure that your Nutella jars are both clean and DRY! If there is any water on the plastic, it will cause the chocolate to seize. I also presented this on a rectangular cake board so that I could build out instead of up. This is an over the top cake, but it’s more horizontal than vertical.
- Empty, clean, and dry your Nutella jars. Use an exacto knife to cut them in half lengthwise.
- Fill the jars with Nutella to make a chocolate hazelnut mold. You’re going to want to make 2 of these.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes to set.
- Use a serrated edge knife to trim the tops of your cakes so that it’s flat. Trim off any brown marks from the bottom as well. Once trimmed, cut your cake pieces in half. (DONT DISCARD THE TOPS! You’ll need them later)
- Smear Nutella onto your cake board with an offset spatula. Place a cake layer directly over the Nutella. Then, add a layer of Nutella to the top of the cake layer. Stack all of your cake layers, adding layers of Nutella in between.
- Add Nutella to the entire outside of your cake.
- Transfer to the fridge to set.
- Take your Nutella molds out of the fridge. Pull at the sides of the plastic, and try and remove the chocolate from the mold lid first.
- Spoon Nutella into all of your Nutella chocolate molds.
- Fill two of your Nutella halves with the cake tops saved from earlier. Smear Nutella over the top of the cake scraps.
- Transfer all Nutella molds to the fridge to set.
- Cut your candies in half longways (I used Milky Ways, Twix, and Baby Ruths). Stick them onto the outside of your Nutella cake. Expose the inside of the chocolate bars, and don’t be afraid to give your cake some added height!
- Use a pastry brush to brush gold Luster Dust over the outside of some of the candy bars.
- Once set, remove all molds from the fridge. Press a hot skillet over each of the halves of your Nutella jar cake. Join the two cake jars together, and the two Nutella jar halves together.
- Place Nutella in a snap seal bag and pipe it over the top of the Nutella cake jar.
- Fill the hollow Nutella jar with M&Ms, and various candies!
- Rest the plastic Nutella jar lids on top of each of the candy Nutella jars.
- Cut out the Nutella template (I printed mine out in 2 pieces) and tape it around the candy Nutella jars.
- Display on a 12’’ rectangular cake board.Place your candy filled Nutella jar on top of your layered cake. Place your Nutella cake jar to the right of it.
- Decorate with miniature Nutella jars!
I’m in love with Nutella and I don’t care who hears it! 🍫
For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/2kCTKRn
What You’ll Need:
- One batch of my chocolate cake baked in 2 x 6″ round tins
- 1 large jar of Nutella
- A bunch of candy bars (I used about 10)
- Gold Lustre Dust
- Dark candy melts OR Dark COMPOUND chocolate
- Candy to fill your jar (if desired)
- Mini Nutella jars (optional)
- Exacto knife
- Offset spatula
- Pastry brush
Printable template http://bit.ly/NutellaJarTemplate
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips