I love making cakes that totally surprise people. When you cut the first slice, they make people say, “whoa…how did you do that?!” This is one of those cakes, and I’m so excited to share this awesome recipe. This is my Surprise Inside Polka Dot Cake. If you love surprise inside cakes, check out my Surprise Inside Checker Board Cake.
To make the surprise inside polka dots, I used a silicone cake pop mold (spoiler alert!). This is essential to make your polka cake! I recommend silicone because it’s easy to remove the cake pops so that they are super clean. You can purchase a silicone cake pop mould here.
- Preheat a moderate oven (350°F/175°C)
- Make 1 of your vanilla cake batters per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Separate your cake batter into 6 eve bowls, and colour each bowl a different colour of the rainbow. Mix well so that the colours are well mixed.
- Spray your cake pop mold with nonstick spray.
- Fill each section of the cake pop mold with a different coloured cake batter.
- Place the top back onto the mold, and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes.
- If the cake batter rises outside of mold, trim with a serrated knife.
- Make another vanilla cake mix per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Line your 6’’ cake tin with a circle of parchment paper. Take another long piece of parchment paper, fold it in half, and wrap it into a circle to line the walls of your cake tin and goes an inch above your cake tin.
- Place 5-8 cake balls into the bottom of your cake tin. Spoon vanilla cake mix over the cake balls and scoop in cake batter over those cake balls.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Repeat with 2 more cakes, giving your 3 total cakes.
- Use a serrated edge knife to trim the bottoms of your cakes. Then, line your 3 cake layers up and trim off the tops of the cakes. Make sure there are no brown layers showing on the tops or bottoms of your cakes.
- Smear buttercream frosting onto your 6’’ cake board. Then, stack your first cake layer. Add buttercream frosting to the top of that cake layer, and stack another cake. Frost again, and stack another cake.
- Frost the top and entire outside of the cake.
- Transfer to the freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Pour a generous amount of sprinkles into your tray.
- Once set, add another layer of frosting. Place the other 6’’ cake layer on top of your cake.
- Hold your cake by the two cake boards, and roll them into your sprinkles. Pat down any sprinkles in places that have gaps.
- Remove the cake board from the top of your cake, and add more buttercream frosting. Coat the top layer with sprinkles.
- Tie a blue ribbon around the base of the cake.
I’m literally obsessed with this polka dot cake! 🤗
For the printable recipe click here:
What You’ll Need:
- Vanilla cake box mix – equivalent of 3 x packet cake mixes + whatever ingredients you need to make them up (milk, eggs etc)
- Sprinkles (LOTS of them!)
- Buttercream frosting (recipe link below)
- Food colours (I used Americolour electric colour gels)
- 6″ Cake tin
- Parchment paper
- 2 x 6″ Cake boards
- 1 x 10″ cake boards
- Cake pop mold
- Non stick cooking spray
- 6 bowls
- 6 spoons
- Offset spatula
- Serrated edge knife
- Flat, wide shallow tray
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new
videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips