Look, I may be a mom, but I’m always up to speed on the latest trends! I’ve been seeing mirror cakes EVERYWHERE, and I’m going to show you how to make it the easiest way possible! No thermometers, no fancy tools, and NO STRESS! These are my Mirror Cakes — made easy! If you also love trends, check out my Cactus Cupcakes!
For this recipe, you’ll need my chocolate cake batter. One batch makes 2 ring cakes. You can find that recipe here.
Some tips for the glaze:
Glaze is best used when it feels ever so SLIGHTLY cool to touch. Just below body temperature is perfect.
Frozen cakes are best to glaze – the glaze sets faster and runs off the sides of the cake less.
Strain any leftovers you don’t get crumbs in your glaze
Glaze keeps in the fridge for a week – just warm it up again to make it fluid
More is More! Don’t skimp on the glaze – just slather it on!
- Use a batter of chocolate to bake 2 chocolate ring cakes (I used my giant donut mold from an old recipe!). Use a serrated edge knife to trim off the cake piece from the bottom so that it’s completely flat. Freeze the cake pieces.
- Combine warm water and gelatin, and stir through. Set aside
- Add water, sugar, and Glucose into a large pot. Stir through. Set the stove to a medium high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, remove from heat. Then, add condensed milk and gelatine into the mixture, and stir well.
- Pour in white chocolate, stir 5 minutes and use a hand blender to mix until smooth. Strain the mixture through.
- Colour with paste or gel colours. Add colour and mix well.
- Let cool – ready to use at 27°C-32°C (which is just below body temperature – so it should feel ever so slightly cooler than your finger!). Cover with plastic wrap.
- Have a baking tray lined with plastic wrap on your bench. Above that, have a large square cooling rack. Then, place a bowl on your cooling rack, and place the ring cake on your bowl.
- Pour your red gelatin mixture over the ring cake. Let it set, and add another coat of glaze.
- Dip the tips of your Hershey’s Kisses in the gold Luster Dust.
- Brush gold Luster Dust onto the bottom halves of your strawberries.
- Run an offset spatula around the bottom of the mirror cake to neaten off the bottom. Use a toothpick to get the excess off the center of the ring cake.
- Transfer the cake onto the display cake.
- Decorate with chocolates and strawberries.
- Add your rainbow coloured gelatin in sections. Add a second layer for vibrant colours.
- Use an offset spatula to scrape off the bottoms, and a toothpick to scrape off the center of the ring cake.
- Assemble white chocolate candies to the cake.
- Transfer to display plate.
- Add multiple colours in multiple sections (I used pink, purple, blue, and yellow).
- Then, Use a spoon to drizzle the four colours over the ring cake to make a tye dye effect.
- Add on rock candy and star sprinkles.
- Transfer to display plate.
- Add all the remainders of mirror glaze into a large bowl.
- Microwave your mirror glaze mixture for one minute to warm it up. Once it’s a good temperature, add a generous amount of black food colouring and stir well.
- Sprinkle various shades of Luster into the black glaze. Mix well.
- Pour glaze over the ring cake.
- Use various pastry brushes to flick Luster onto the ring cake. Add star sprinkles.
- Run offset spatula below the bottom of the cake.
Transfer to display plate.
These mirror cakes are everything 😍 Which one is your fave?
For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/MirrorCakes
What You’ll Need:
- 390g water
- 600g sugar
- 600g glucose or light corn syrup
- 430g condensed milk
- 40g powdered gelatine
- 650g white chocolate
- Chocolate cake batter
- Gold Luster Dust
- Hershey’s Kisses
- White chocolate candies
- Rock candy
- Star sprinkles
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips