A quintessential part of back to school is getting new school supplies. What if I told you that school supplies could be so very sweet? That’s right, today I’m bringing you a back to school themed recipe with my Art Themed Push Pops! For another art themed recipes you can check out my Artist Paint Palette Cupcakes. You can also learn how to Plan Your Own Back to School Party!
For this recipe you’ll need my rich chocolate buttercream frosting. You can find that recipe here. You’ll also need some plastic cake push pops. You can purchase those here. I love these because they are easy to add to the kid’s lunches! They’re so practical. Your kids are going to love a push pop filled with cake.
- Preheat a moderate oven (175C/350F)
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of cake batter into 2 bowls, and 4 tablespoons into the rest of your bowls.
- Add pink food coloring into one of the 2 tablespoon bowls, and yellow food coloring into the other 2 tablespoon bowl. Mix well.
- For the other bowls with 4 tablespoons of cake batter, add whatever colors you choose and mix well.
- Bake in a moderate oven. They are done when they spring back in the center.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Remove the cupcake liner from the cupcakes. Use a serrated edge knife to trim the top dome off each cupcake.
- Flip your cupcake upside down, and use a circle cutter to go through the center of the cupcake. Do this with all the cupcakes.
- Trim off the bottom brown bottom layer from the cupcake.
- Cut that core in half, and use the smaller circle cutter to create 2 small halves with holes in the center.
- Cut the other half pieces in half again. You should have 2 pieces with circles in the center, and 2 pieces without.
- Repeat this with the rest of the cupcakes.
- Push the base of the push pop container all the way to the top. Then, place a full core piece on the bottom. Draw the push pop back into the container.
- With your piping bag filled with chocolate buttercream frosting, pipe in the 2 center holes with frosting.
- Place your final whole core piece on top.
- Pipe a high swirl on the top of the top piece of cake.
- Place the lid on the push pop container.
- Wrap your template around the top of the push pop to create a pointed cone shape. Tape it into place.
- Wrap your larger template around the push pop and stick it into place with tape.
- Repeat with the rest of your colors.
- With your smaller pink and yellow cupcakes, use the push pop, itself, to create a perfect circle for the pink cupcake. Draw the push pop down into the container so that the pink cake piece is at the bottom.
- Pipe a layer of chocolate frosting on top of the pink cupcake.
- Use the push pop again to create a perfect circle for the yellow cupcake piece, as well.
- Then, pipe a high swirl on the rest of the cupcake. Place the lit on the push pop.
- Tape the pencil template piece so that the top piece is a sharp cone.
Too cool for school! 🎂✏️
-For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/2i8ZTzF
What You’ll Need:
- 1 batch vanilla cake mix
- 1 batch chocolate frosting
- Food colours – I used green, pink, yellow, orange, red, blue and purple
- Cupcake tray
- Cupcake liners
- Sticky tape
- 7 bowls
- Disposable piping bag
- Open piping tip
- Crayon templates (1, 2, 3, 4)
- Circle cutters
- Serrated edge knife
- 2 spoons
- Plastic push pop containers
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips