Foods in disguise are my favorite things to bake. This New Year, one of my resolutions is to make more foods that I love. Foods in disguise are one of those things. For today’s first food in disguise for the new year, I’m making Fast Food Cupcakes! For more foods in disguise check out my Chocolate Ramen Dessert Bowls and Sushi Cookie Pops.
For this recipe, you’ll need my perfectly pipeable buttercream frosting in both red and yellow. You can find that recipe here. One of my favorite elements to this cupcake is the sesame seeds on the “bun.” A lot of people think that sesame seeds are savory, but they actually take on the flavour of whatever they’re paired with. When paired with savory things like burgers, they’re going to taste more savory. When paired with something sweet, they’re going to taste more sweet! The more you know!
What You’ll Need:
- Rice Krispies
- Melted dark chocolate
- Melted green candy melts
- 2 eggs
- Buttercream frosting (red and yellow)
- Sesame seeds
- Cupcake packet mix
- Nonstick spray
- Serrated circle cutter
- Fondant rolling pin
- Snap seal bags
- Ice cream scooper
- Electric mixer with whisk attachment
- Fries container template
- Cupcake tray
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat a moderate oven (175C/350F)
- Combine packet mix with corresponding ingredients according to the manufacturer’s directions. Whisk in the electric mixer until completely blended.
- Spray a generous amount of nonstick spray onto the cupcake liners.
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop out the batter into the tray. You will not need cupcake liners. Sprinkle sesame seeds over 9/12 of the cupcake mixtures.
- Transfer to the oven, and cook until they spring back in the middle.
- Pour melted dark chocolate over your Rice Krispies. Mix well.
- Spoon out your chocolate Rice Krispie mix onto a piece of parchment paper. Fold the parchment paper over and press down. Use the fondant rolling pin to roll out the mixture so that it’s fairly thin. Transfer to the fridge to set.
- Once set, use your serrated cookie cutter to cut circles from mixture.
- Combine corn flakes and melted green candy melts. Transfer to the fridge to set. Once set, break them off into a bowl.
- Transfer red and yellow frosting into their own snap seal bag. Cut a fine corner tip from each bag.
- Use a serrated edge knife to cut your three cupcakes without the sesames into 3 sections. Then, cut slice those sections into wedges. Roll those wedges into granulated sugar. Place them in an assembled french fry container (template here), to look like french fries.
Optional: pipe red frosting over the top of the fries to look like ketchup.
- Slice the burger where the line between the darker bottom of the burger and lighter top meet. The bottom layer should be larger than the top.
- Pipe yellow frosting to the bottom of the hamburger bun.
- Then, place a circle pattie.
- Pipe red frosting on top of that.
- Then, sprinkle green corn flakes over the top. Make sure it pokes out the edges
- Pipe another dollop of red frosting in the center, and place the top half of the bun on top.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients to make more hamburgers!
Cupcake fries? Yes please! 🍟
-For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/2gT9xuf
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips