When it comes to birthdays, have you ever had a hard time picking between cupcakes or just a full size cake? With this tutorial, you don’t have to! I’ve done some over the top giant cupcakes like Giant Jelly Bean Cupcake and a Giant Ferrero Rocher Cake, but today we’re going over the foundations for the giant cupcake in this Giant Cupcake Masterclass.
Something that I do for this recipe is that I make a case of chocolate for bottom half of the cupcake. This gives the cupcake extra support and a super clean chocolate finish on the bottom. I always recommend using the silicone molds for giant cupcakes. They’re also very versatile, so it’s worth the investment!
What You’ll Need:
- Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe
- 600g (approx) Melted chocolate: Dark is best here but you can also use white and colour it with oil based or candy colours.
- Chocolate ganache
- Buttercream frosting, coloured in 6 colours
- Giant cupcake mold – I prefer Silicone & you can find these on ebay or amazon
- Non stick spray
- Disposable piping bag
- Large open round piping tip
- Serrated edge knife (like a bread knife)
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
- Cooling rack
- Preheat a moderate oven (175°C/350°F).
- Pour half of your melted chocolate into the bottom of the silicone mold. Use a spatula to evenly distribute the chocolate to cover the mold entirely. Let any excess drip back into the bowl of chocolate. Transfer to the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- Once set, remove from the fridge. Repeat the previous step and add a second layer of melted chocolate. Transfer to the fridge to set.
- Peel your chocolate base carefully away from the silicone mold. Set aside.
- Grease the top and bottom half of your giant cupcake molds thoroughly.
- Pour chocolate mud cake batter about ⅔ to ¾ of the way into the top and bottom half of the molds.
- Use a pair of scissors to cut two large circles of parchment paper. Place each piece over the batter on both halves of the mold.
- Place the molds on a baking sheet. Transfer to a moderate oven. The top half of the mold should cook in 30 minutes, and the bottom half of the mold should cook in 45.
- Once removed from the oven, remove the parchment paper from the molds. Then, let the two halves cool in the mold at room temperature for at least an hour.
- Peel away the molds from each half of the cupcake. Let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Once completely cooled, use a serrated edge knife to trim the giant cupcake. Trim the bottom of the top half, and both ends of the bottom half. Cut your bottom piece evenly in half, as well.
- Place your chocolate case back into the silicone mold. Spoon in a generou amount of room temperature ganache into the mold.
- Add the bottom half of the bottom piece into the case. Press down firmly.
- Add more ganache, and use the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly. Add the top piece of the bottom half of the cake.
- Spread ganache over the top piece of that cake. Then, add the top half of the mold to the top of the cake.
- Spoon on a generous amount of ganache to the top of the cupcake. Use the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly. Clean up any edges if needed.
- Peel the silicone case completely from the mold. Transfer your giant cupcake to a rotating cake board.
- With your six colors of buttercream at the ready, spoon in your purple buttercream frosting first. Pipe a circle of buttercream and drag it up to make a smear of frosting.
- Then, clean out the piping bag and add blue frosting. Overlap the purple frosting layers, and use the same motion.
- Repeat with green, yellow, orange, and red.
- Place a candle right in the top!
For my birthday this year I wished for a giant cupcake, and I got one! 🎉
-For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/2gBIXki
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips