Anyone with kids will know that they all go through their own phases of small obsessions. I know for my son Oliver, and for lots of young kids, one of those obsessions is with dinosaurs! They’re big, they’re scary — what’s not to love? This is the ultimate surprise cake for kids because it’s dinosaur themed, and has surprise dinosaur bones inside. This is my Dinosaur Dig Surprise Fossil Cake!
The rich and delicious chocolate cake I used for this recipe is my dark chocolate mud cake. You can find that recipe here. You’ll also want to make my famous chocolate ganache two ways. You can learn how to make that ganache here. You can make it with either dark or milk chocolate. You’ll also need a mold to make your white chocolate dinosaur bones! The one I used is a brand called Fred and Friends (you can find that here), but you can use any mold you’d like! Something fun for a party might be to give kids paint brushes to uncover the bones. They’ll be paleontologists! Who says you can play with food?
What You’ll Need:
- Dark Chocolate Mud Cake Recipe:
- Dark Chocolate Ganache/Milk Chocolate Ganache:
- Melted white chocolate
- Crushed Oreo cookies
- Serrated edge knife
- Offset Spatula
- Piping bag
- Cake plate
- Dinosaur template
- Dinosaur bone mold
- Parchment Paper
- Place a piece of parchment paper over the dinosaur foot template. Transfer your melted white chocolates into a piping bag. Cut a fine tip from the corner. Outline the dinosaur foot directly onto the parchment paper. Then, fill in the inside.
- Cut the piping tip so that it’s a little bit thicker. Then, fill three dinosaur bone molds with white chocolate. Tap the molds to level off the chocolate. Transfer to the fridge to set.
- Use a serrated knife to cut your cake into three even portions. Use your knife to level off the top and bottom piece so that they are flat and even.
- Use an offset spatula to smear some dark/milk chocolate ganache onto the cake plate. Place the bottom piece of chocolate cake on the cake board.
- Spread a thin layer of semi-set ganache over your bottom cake piece. Then, place your set ganache in a piping bag, and cut a generous tip. Pipe a thick sausage of ganache around the outside of the bottom cake piece.
- Take your dinosaur bone molds out of the fridge. Peel the white chocolate out of the mold, and place them in the center of your cake. Break some in half if the pieces are too big.
- Sprinkle crushed Oreos over the white chocolate dinosaur bones.
- Place the middle layer of chocolate cake on top. Repeat the previous three steps.
- Place the top third of the cake on top of the middle layer. Use an offset spatula to spread semi-set ganache over the top of the cake and on the outside.
- Press Oreo crumbs firmly into the outside of the cake.
- Sprinkle cookie crumbs in the remaining white chocolate bones. Scatter them around the outside of the cake on the bottom of the cake plate. Place your dinosaur foot print right on top.
-For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/2gMYKQu
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips