Every baker has to start with some recipe, and I truly believe that once you master some of the basic recipes, you can start to get extremely creative in the kitchen! I usually show you guys some of my most over the top recipes, but today I want to bring it back to the basics and show you guys my famous Vanilla Sugar Cookie recipe. If you want to see some super fun recipes made with my sugar cookies, check out my Rainbow Unicorn Cookies and my Skittles Rainbow Cake.
In general, I like to only work with half of my dough at a time. If you want to use half, you can transfer it to the freezer and use it later (even much much later!). Two pieces of advise: always use baking SODA, and always work with chilled dough. Once you get this recipe down, run with it! Dye your cookies different colours, make cookie pinatas, cookie ice cream sandwiches, the world is truly your oyster! Or…cookie? Without further ado…here is my basic vanilla sugar cookie recipe.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- With the mixer on low, add one-third of the flour mixture and mix to combine. Add the second third of the flour and continue mixing on low speed.
- Add the final third of the flour mixture beating just until combined.
- Pour the mixture out onto a work surface and knead with your hands until the dough is no longer crumbly and you are able to form a tight ball, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour and preferably 3 hours. You can also leave it in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze this dough (well wrapped) for up to 1 month.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and break off a section to work with (I usually work with about a third at a time). Give it a quick knead and sprinkle down a generous amount of flour on your work surface and also on top of the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes using your desired cookie cutter and place on the baking sheet(s).
- Bake until the cookies just slightly start to turn golden brown around the edges, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Immediately transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Once they are completely cool, decorate as desired.
There’s nothing like fresh baked cookies 😍
What You’ll Need:
- 400g / 14oz all purpose (plain) flour, weighed then sifted – plus extra for rolling the cookies
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking SODA (I mention baking powder in the video – it is baking SODA you need)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 220g / 8oz unsalted butter (you can also use salted butter and eliminate the 1/4 tsp salt)
- 170g / 6oz sugar (caster or superfine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Rolling pin
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Cooling rack
- Offset spatula or large knife
I’m funnier in PODCAST! Catch ‘Bake My Day’ on Spotify: https://spoti.fi/BakeMyDay
Connect with me on Instagram:@Mycupcakeaddiction for sweets and treats
@elise_strachan for my DIY’s & Home Renos
Grab my Bestselling Cookbook “Sweet Celebrations”: http://bit.ly/SweetCelebrations
Fun, quick vids on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
My Cooking show on YouTube: http://bit.ly/11fUfmA