Today’s recipe is a throwback to my childhood (#TBT am I right?!). I loved Mr. and Mrs. Potato Heads growing up, and wanted to pay homage to them with Easter just around the corner. These super cute Chocolate Easter Egg Mr. and Mrs. Potato Heads will be a fun treat for your kids this holiday! For more Easter recipes, check out my Easter Rocky Road, and my DIY Chocolate Lace Easter Eggs
If there are no chocolate Easter eggs this size available, or it’s not the Easter season, no problem! You can also use a large Easter egg and fill it with chocolate candy melts to recreate the same thing. The key to this recipe is precision. There are a lot of small elements, so don’t be frustrated if you have to make another arm, or stick on another ear.
- Put your white chocolate candy melts in a snap seal back. Cut a tip off the bottom corner of the bag. Use your white candy melts to draw various body parts onto your parchment paper. You’ll want to draw 2 sets of eyes, and 2 sets of L shaped arms. For Mr. Potato Head’s teeth, paint a half moon shape onto your parchment paper, and use a toothpick to makes a couple of ridges in the smile to look like teeth. Draw a white chocolate shaped disk about the size of an Oreo cookie. Cut a white chocolate truffle in half and place it on top of the white chocolate disk. Place a bit of white chocolate onto and Oreo cookie. Cut a dark chocolate truffle in half and place it on the Oreo (these will be their hats).
- Take 1 blue foil covered Easter egg and 1 yellow foil covered Easter egg, and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove the foil from the back half of the chocolates. Then, cut an uncovered foil egg in half. Place the three halves in the shape of a triangle.
- Use a toothpick to put a small amount onto the three halves of chocolates without getting chocolate on the foil. Place your potato sized Easter egg on the three chocolate halves (do this for both the blue and the yellow halves). Let set for five minutes, but not in the fridge.
- Use a toothpick covered in dark chocolate candy melts to draw pupils in the white candy melt eyes. Place your flower sprinkle in the center of Mrs. Potato Head’s hat.
- For Mr. Potato Head, you’re going to use 2 black jelly beans for his mustache, 2 pink jelly beans for his ears, 1 red jelly bean for his nose, and 1 black jelly bean cut lengthwise in half for his eyebrows. For Mrs. Potato Head, she’ll have her red foil chocolate lips, a pink nose, 2 pink ears, and 2 thin black eyebrows.
- Use your melted dark chocolate to glue on all the pieces to both of the Potato Heads. Place the hat on top of their heads. Then, place the ears slightly higher on the top 1/3 of the chocolate egg, and line up the eyes at about the same level. Place the nose horizontally below the eyes, then add each of their mouths. For Mr. Potato Head, also add his mustache.
- Break off a small amount of white chocolate from the elbow. Add white chocolate and support it against the chocolate egg just slightly below the ear. Do this with all the arms.
Now you have your very own Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head! What other characters should I make into a dessert next? 🍫
-For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/2iCMu3D
What You’ll Need:
- Chocolate easter eggs about the size of a potato (you can buy them premade or make them in a plastic easter egg mold!)
- Dark and White Chocolate Lindor Truffles
- Pink, red, and black jellybeans
- Small foil covered easter eggs
- Chocolate lips
- Oreo cookies
- Melted white candy melts
- Melted dark candy melts
- 1 flower sprinkle
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips