Willy Wonka is a story that captured the hearts of candy lovers everywhere. It really did kindle my love for sweets from an early age. Today, I want to share with you an over the top cake that would impress the chocolatier, Willy Wonka. This is my massive Wonka Candy Drip Cake. This cake has it all: rainbow cake, giant candy, colorful bark, dripping ganache! For more cakes check out my Rainbow Unicorn Cake and Artist Illusion Cake.
For this recipe, you’ll need a batch of buttercream frosting. You can find that recipe here. You’ll also want to make some white chocolate ganache (dyed blue!), and you can find that recipe here. Use your favorite vanilla cake recipe, but I recommend a mud cake for stability. If you’re interested in know exactly which candies I used, check out my ingredients below. What really brings this cake together is all the colour. Don’t be afraid to make those colours POP!
- Use a cake leveler to level off the tops of your cake layers.
- Flip your cake over, and use a serrated edge knife to trim the brown off the bottoms of your cake layers.
- Smear frosting onto your cake board, and place a layer of cake right on it.
- Frost your bottom cake layer with blue frosting. Then, stack another cake and frost with green frosting. Continue this with yellow frosting, then orange, and then red for the top layer of cake.
- Take your serrated edge knife and trim the outside edges. Remove all the brown layers from the outside of your cake.
- Transfer to the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Use an offset spatula to smear a thin layer of purple buttercream frosting onto the outside of your cake to create a crumb coat.
- Transfer back to the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Once set, smear a thick layer of buttercream frosting along the outside of the cake.
- Scrape the outside of your cake with a cake scraper or metal ruler to smooth out the frosting and remove any excess frosting off the cake.
- Before the frosting on the cake sets, place various large pieces of candy at the base of the cake.
- Transfer to the fridge to set.
- Pour your melted blue chocolate onto a piece of parchment paper. Then, place a few dollops of melted yellow chocolate over the blue. Use a skewer to create figure 8s around the chocolate to create a swirl effect. Place large sprinkles and rainbow candies into the chocolate.
- Repeat the previous step with orange and purple melted chocolate.
- Set the colorful chocolate barks aside, and let them set for 4-5 minutes. Once they begin to semi set, cut them into long triangular shards. Then, set them aside to let them set completely.
- Dip a chocolate bar into your melted pink chocolates, and sprinkle colorful sprinkles over the top.
- Pour your whipping cream over white chocolate. Microwave for 30 second intervals for 1 minute max. Stir well in between. Add a few drops of food colouring (I used Americolor navy blue). Set aside, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Take your cake out of the fridge. Once your ganache is room temperature, pour the ganache over the top of the cake. Use your offset spatula to push the ganache towards the edges of the cake, and let the ganache drip over the sides.
- Use a sharp knife to create guide holes for your chocolate shards, and place them on the cake.
- Place the rest of your candy on top of your cake. Don’t place any of the candy pieces too close to the back.
-For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/WonkaDripCake
What You’ll Need:
- 5 x vanilla sponge cakes/pound cake/mud cake (approx 7″x 1″)
- A double batch of buttercream frosting (½ dyed Americolor royal purple, the rest divided equally by 5 and dyed them red, orange, yellow, green, and blue.)
- White chocolate, coloured blue, purple, yellow, orange, and pink (I used about 500g)
- White chocolate Ganache
Candy! Lots of Candy. I used:
- 1 giant gummy bear
- 1 tall rainbow lollypop
- 1 large round lollypop (orange)
- 2 smaller lollipops (yellow & green)
- Giant chocolate buttons
- Candy coated liquorice bullets
- Baby tears candies
- Small round hard candies
- Little round rainbow hard candies
- Sprinkles – lots of sprinkles!
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips