Seven generations, hundreds of pokemon, and over a dozen games: Pokemon is easily one of the largest games to sweep the nation. Pokemon Sun and Moon takes place on the islands of Alola. Sun and Moon features a new story with lots of new Pokemon! Today, I’m teaming up with Nintendo to bring you a cake that goes over the top. This is my Pokemon Islands of Alola cake. But this isn’t just a cake, it’s a cupcake cake. What makes it over the top is the smoking Volcanos on the island! Check out my Pokemon Surprise Dessert for more Pokemon recipes!
For this recipe you’ll need 41 cupcakes. You can find my cupcake recipe here. You’ll also need my buttercream frosting recipe. You can find that recipe here. One of my favorite parts of this recipe is creating the ocean effect. Create various shades of blue use an offset spatula to create that ocean effect. Of course, you’ll also be working with dry ice. Do not let dry ice come into contact with your skin. Don’t add it to the test tubes in the cake until you’re ready to serve.
What You’ll Need:
- 41 Cupcakes (choose your favorite recipe!)
- 150g dark candy melts
- Ice cream cones
- Pretzel sticks
- Crushed graham crackers
- 20g each red and orange candy melts
- 1 crushed white cookie
- 3 pounds of Buttercream frosting, tinted various shades of blue, green & brown
- Dry Ice (approx. 1 pound)
- Squeeze bottle
- Exacto knife
- Serrated edge knife
- Plastic tubes
- Cake board
- Snap seal bags
- Pastry brushes
- Food colouring
- Offset spatula
- Disposable piping bags
- Assorted piping tips
Printed edible island images (note: you can order these online or have them printed at your local cake supply store):
Printed Pokemon Characters:
- Position 40 of your cupcakes in a large circle. Use buttercream frosting to stick them to your cake board.
- Place your edible templates on your map. Then, determine where you would like your test tube (volcano) to go. Once decided, smear buttercream frosting to the bottom of the test tubes and place them on your cake board.
- Fill any gaps between cupcakes with marshmallows.
- Place your light blue frosting into a piping bag with an open piping tip. Then, pipe light blue dollops around the outside of the cupcake cake. Also pipe a few sections on the inside of the cake.
- Add more blue food colouring to your blue buttercream frosting to make a darker blue. Place that in a disposable piping bag, and pipe patches of your darker blue around the center of the cake.
- Add even more blue food colouring to your blue buttercream frosting to make it an even darker blue. Place in a disposable piping bag, and pipe over the rest of the cake.
- Use an offset spatula to smear those three colours of blue frosting together to make an ocean effect.
- Use an exacto knife to cut holes into your edible images around where the test tubes are going to be. Place your edible prints onto your cupcake cake.
- Cut your ice cream cones with a serrated edge knife to cut the shape of 2 volcanos (one large, one medium). Cut another cone to create a shallow geyser. Use any extra cones to make some craters.
- Remove the wrapper from your remaining cupcake. Use a serrated edge knife to cut the cupcake down on an angle so that it takes the shape of a volcano.
- Dollop melted chocolate onto a piece of parchment paper. Flip the cupcake over and let it set on the paper. Pour melted chocolate over the top, and let the spoon drag down the sides to give it a rocky texture.
- Coat your ice cream cone pieces with melted chocolate, as well.
- Let all chocolate pieces set.
- Once set, use a toothpick to draw lava details to your medium sized volcano using red and orange candy melts.
- Place white frosting in a snap seal bag and cut a super fine tip. Pipe on the white frosting around the top of the larger volcano, and toothpick on light blue frosting around the top for detail.
- Place the volcanos onto the cupcake cake.
- Place your green buttercream frosting in a snap seal bag, and cut off a fine corner tip. Pipe various green dots onto a pretzel to create a tree top. Position that onto your cupcake cake.
- Pipe green swirls onto any parts of your map with dark green to create tree tops with your frosting!
- Pipe brown frosting to the bottom of your craters. Place those onto the top of your cupcake cake.
- Brush water onto your beaches. Then, sprinkle over crushed graham crackers.
- Transfer brown frosting into a snap seal bag, and cut a fine corner tip. Pipe various circles to look like rocks surrounding a lagoon.
Print out your Pokemon template onto heavy grade paper. Cut them out, and tape them onto a toothpick. Place the Pokemon around Alola.
- To create a smoking volcano effect, remove your volcano cones from the cake. Place a piece of dry ice into the test tubes. DO NOT TOUCH DRY ICE WITH YOUR BARE HANDS! Place the cones back over the test tubes. Use a squeeze bottle with warm water, and squirt it into the test tube.
- Remove the volcanos, test tubes, and dry ice before serving!
Who wants to explore the islands of Alola?! 🌋
-For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/2gbLExt
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips