While I LOVE showing you guys outrageous, over the top recipes, I also enjoy taking it back to the basics. Master the basics and you’ll forever be able to create magic in the kitchen!
This is probably the most used My Cupcake Addiction recipe around the world & once tried, you’ll never do storebought frosting again… I promise
I’m giving you my famous perfectly pipeable buttercream frosting. It’s, without a doubt, the GREATEST frosting of all time!
The great equalizer in this recipe is the milk. More milk will thin out the buttercream, and less will keep it thicker depending on what you need it for. Thicker frosting is better for layering in between cake layers, piping high swirls and flower designs while thinner frosting is great for covering cakes and softer, lower swirl designs.
It’s also important to add the powdered sugar in sections and not all at once for maximum lightness and fluffiness.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ vanilla bean (halved crosswise), split lengthwise
5 ½ cups (650g) powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons whole milk
- Cup measure http://amzn.to/2fN2kpS
- Electric mixer with whisk or beater attachment http://amzn.to/2fN1GsC
- Food colouring (if desired) http://amzn.to/2dO27mn
- In a stand mixer with the whisk or paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed for at least 5 minutes, until the butter has lightened in color and is thoroughly whipped.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, scrape the vanilla seeds into the butter and beat to incorporate.
- Add 1 cup of the sugar and begin mixing on low speed to combine, then beat on high speed or about 2 minutes.
- Repeat this process 1 cup at a time until all the sugar has been added. Add milk a dash at a time if the mixture becomes too thick or dry. Scrape down the sides as needed and make sure no sugar is visible.
- The frosting will last for 1 month in the freezer, 2 weeks in the fridge, and 3 days at room temperature.
Goodbye store bought frosting, hello perfectly pipeable buttercream! 🙌
-For the printable recipe click here: http://bit.ly/MCAbuttercream
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips