With the rise of hipster culture beginning in the early 2010s, the mustache trend quickly followed. People love mustaches. They may remind you of a best friend or a family member. I know for me, when I think of mustaches I always think of my father. He rocked a KILLER mustache back in the day. So I mustache you a question…are you ready to throw your very own mustache party?!
Something I love about a mustache themed party is its simplicity. These parties aren’t as vibrant in color, and the mustache really can go a long way! This DIY is exactly that. We’re going to be making photo props, as well as cut outs that you’ll use to decorate later.
- Construction paper
- A white colored pencil
- Templates of mustaches, hats and monocles
- Bamboo Skewers
- Print mustache, hat, and monocle templates and cut them out.
- Place them on a sheet of black construction paper. Outline the templates with a white colored pencil.
- Use a pair of scissors to cut out the construction paper shapes.
- Tape some of the construction paper cut-outs to bamboo skewers, and also set some aside for decoration later.
And ta da! You have these fun photo props. Seriously have your cameras ready. These are going to make for some great photos!
You can also use these cut-outs to make mustache straws! And you can use those straws to make mason jar cookies and milk. It’s easy! Just tape the cut-out onto the straw. Then, stick that straw through a soft cookie (I used oatmeal raisin), and place that in a mason jar filled with milk. Then, when you take a sip, you’ll have a little straw mustache on your upper lip.
The cake is coated in vanilla buttercream frosting. Using an open piping tip, pipe a round circle onto your cake. Then, drag it back. Continue this all way way around the cake for a scalloped frosting effect. Then, add a cut-out bow tie for decoration. You can also decorate with mustache decorative straws.
And what’s a mustache party without mustache shaped desserts? I also made these rich and decadent mustache brownies.
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Mustache cookie cutter http://amzn.to/2n3kd8P
- Chocolate ganache https://youtu.be/W_QXdJU93e4
- Baking sheet http://amzn.to/2bz2lyW
- Bake a batch of brownies on a large baking sheet.
- Spread chocolate ganache over the brownies.
- Sprinkle large chocolate sprinkles over the ganache.
- Use a mustache shaped cookie cutter to cut out large brownie mustaches!
I also made these super easy and fun chocolate tuxedo cupcakes! These will be a hit at your party.
- Chocolate cupcakes http://bit.ly/BESTChocolateCake
- Buttercream frosting http://bit.ly/MCAbuttercream
- Black and white cupcake wrappers
- Mustache picks
- Piping bag http://amzn.to/2es8yvm
- Open piping tip http://amzn.to/2ebw55B
- Bake chocolate cupcakes as above recipes instructs.
- With a piping bag with an open tip, swirl buttercream frosting directly onto the cupcake.
- Stick a mustache pick through the center of the cupcake.
And now, of course, to bring it all together. I decorated my display using these silly mustache photos of family, animals, and art. All of the frames I purchased were from thrift stores. This is a cheap and easy way to decorate. Every frame has a different look and feel based on its condition and age.
When trying to find displays, try looking towards mason jars and square shape. Something to give that masculine feel, or that barber shop look. I elevated the back candy jars for height, as well as our main cake. The levels really help bring the entire presentation together. And, of course, don’t be afraid to add mustaches on whatever you like!
-Watch the full video on YouTube https://youtu.be/iYINwmxrG7o
-Buy the My Cupcake Addiction Cookbook http://bit.ly/MCAbook
-Subscribe to my YouTube channel for 2 new videos each week! http://bit.ly/MyCupcakeAddiction
-Follow me on Facebook for short snappy sweet ideas daily! http://on.fb.me/1cOOpu6
-Share your sweets with me on Instagram http://bit.ly/134thON Use the #mycupcakeaddiction so I can see them & I’ll re-share some of my favorites!
-Sign up to our #SweetSquad for early access, exclusive offers and fun party planning tips